The online discussion on the Mechanics of MOOCs for Employee Learning was attended by over 50 Learning professionals.
One of the interesting components of webinar was discussion this scenario:
Lauren, the head of a business unit, is a recent enthusiast for MOOCs having completed one on construction engineering. She recently sent an email out to all of the members of her business unit encouraging them to use MOOCs as an alternative to in house training programs currently offered by the organisation.
What do you think of this situation as a Learning Professional ?
Advantages of making this change?
- Reduced development team.
- Onboard more employee champions who can evangelise the MOOC integration process.
- Expand curriculum.
- Encourage a crowd sourced / curated model of recommendations.
Disadvantages of making this change?
- May not be aligned with the organisations competency charter
- IT infrastructure may not be able to support a lot of MOOC participation
What will achieve this change to the learning offerings in your organisation LOSE YOU?
- L&D team sizes may shrink. You may need to onboard professionals with new skills
- Increased workload to monitor and less design and delivery work for L&D
What will achieving this change to the learning offerings in your organisation GAIN YOU?
- More demanding learners as they become used to community based & conversational style of learning by virtue of the MOOC exposure
- Deliver more value to business at little extra costs
- Access to external perspectives and thinking
- Will encourage peer to peer learning & foster collaboration
- Drive self learning
Other session presentations
- Sunder talked about use of a Presentation Skills MOOCs at JLT Group
- Geoff shared some data about the engagement score for a learning program which had a MOOC like flavor.
- Michelle led the panel discussion which included Preetha Ram
- Sian ran a exercise where the participants were asked to respond to the following scenario
- Sunder would like to share this thought leadership: Embedding MOOCs in the workplace
- Sunder will be leading a tweetchat event on Nov 27th on MOOC for professionals across the globe Tweetchat on “MOOCs for Corporate Learning”
- Thought Leadership from Geoff – From MOOCs to HARVARDs: will online go mainstream? The Conversation October 2013
- Preetha has shared some great thought leadership in this area…have a look at..”From One-to-one to Many-to-many: Powering peer learning in open learning environments“
- Michelle has some suggestions of possible links to find MOOCs:
- Recent blog from Preetha: Blog on Softskills assessment
(1) Reader Comment
November 25, 2011
October 03, 2011
September 30, 2011
August 23, 2011
March 17, 2016
March 17, 2016
I'm sorry I missed this webinar... I partecipated an interesting exper
Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever wo
Please add your comments during the webinar. The comments are not bein
Hello, I am unable to view the recording 'moocs at work'. I sign in
Taking my own MOOC as an illustration, when the course website opens t